Monday, October 21, 2013

Book Notes: "Sewing Church Linens", by Elizabeth Morgan

Sewing Church Linens, Revised Edition: Convent Hemming and Simple EmbroiderySewing Church Linens, Revised Edition: Convent Hemming and Simple Embroidery by Elizabeth Morgan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This simple little book was a gift to me from my mother-in-law, and as head of our church's Altar Guild, I found it a rewarding read.

Even though I'm not yet convinced that I want to sew church linens, the sections of this book on the care of church linens made it more than worth the read.

I also loved Morgan's dry sense of humor, evident in passages like this one on embroidering credence cloths:

"When planning the embroidery, consider the nature of the vessels to be placed and the youth of the acolytes. If you have any question as to the tippiness of either, best to center the embroidery above the end hems."

Love it!

In all seriousness, though, her instructions on laundering and folding all the various linens, along with great explanations as to the history, meaning, and use of them all, make this a valuable book that I'm very glad I read. Recommended to anyone involved in the Altar Guild at their church!

View all my reviews

No comments: