Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Yarnalong: Beekeeper's Quilt and "The Plot Thickens"



My book this week is "The Plot Thickens" by Noah Lukeman. I've enjoyed his other books, and this one looks to be pretty useful too. The first portion is just a list of questions to ask yourself about your characters in order to think through them thoroughly - yet it's not a boring list. I have to admire someone who can write an interesting list.

The knitting is the beginning of my Beekeeper's Quilt! I've been wanting to make this one for awhile. You use sock yarn scraps to make little "hexipuffs", which you eventually sew together into a blanket. Here are my hexipuffs thus far:

This pattern is everything I love about sock knitting in miniature. Smooth, meditative, round-and-round knit stitch. Yay!

Here's my collection of sock yarn scraps waiting to be hexipuff'd:

I'm hoping to get those all knit up, and then just knit up extra scraps as I finish each pair of socks.

More yarnalong goodness can be found over at Ginny's blog, here, and I'm also blogging today about marriage over at Regency Reflections.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

7 comments:

Lydia said...

I LOVE Noah Lukeman's books! My old writing instructor recommended him years ago (Lukeman was one of his students), and I've been reading him ever since. Very motivating!

I've been admiring the beekeeper's quilt for awhile now too but haven't the guts to start one yet. Yours looks absolutely lovely!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a beekeepers quilt...I think it will be beautiful..the colors you are using are so pretty.

My daughter is the writer in our family I will have to show her your book.

Blessings to you,

~~Renee

A Knitters Notebook

Unknown said...

I just saw the beekepers quilt the other day. What a great way to use up that old sock yarn. I think I may just start a stash of the hexpuffs.
I am working on a Christmas Fairy for Friday. I hope to have it done by then so I can share the pattern.

With All That I am
Carie "The Handmade Homemaker"

Janet said...

You've made a nice start on your quilt. The yarn scraps colors go together well. I love making hexipuffs but set them aside a while ago to work on other projects. You've reminded me that I need to pick them back up again.

bookworm-Mary said...

I love the colors of your hexipuffs! And all the yarn waiting to be hexipuff'd! Your beekeeper's will be bright and colorful!

Kim said...

The beekeeper's quilt looks interesting, never heard of it before. Sounds like a fun project, enjoy!

Erin @ Wild Whispers said...

I'm popping by from Ginny's Yarn Along... Your scraps look like they will make a lovely quilt! Great knitting!