Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Notes: "Partials" by Dan Wells

Partials (Partials, #1)Partials by Dan Wells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A friend of mine complained recently about the passivity of YA heroines. My suggestion to her? Try "Partials" by Dan Wells.

I just finished this post-apocalyptic novel - and yes, it's another post-apocalyptic YA novel, but it distinguishes itself from the pack by being good.

What's good about it? Well, to start, the proactive heroine. Kira's strongest characteristic is that she does what she thinks is right, even if it costs her. Does she always have enough information to choose the right thing? No, and that's why we have a plot. But I liked reading about a girl who was actively doing her best to fix the problems in front of her, and that without being idiotically headstrong either (she takes her time to think about things - at least when events give her time enough to do so).

The plot works too. The action and complications tick over nicely, and the main story has a satisfying resolution, while still leaving plenty of interesting questions for the sequel. The setting matters, but this isn't a book with a ton of sensory detail, it's more about character and action than about all-encompassing sensory immersion in the world.

I don't know what else to say . . . is this the book that's going to revolutionize literature? No. But it was just a thoroughly good read. I liked it a lot and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

View all my reviews

3 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Sounds good! I've requested it at the library. I love having a friend who reads good books (and reviews them) so that I know what to add to my list. :)

Unknown said...

Is this book clean?? Like any sexual content at all??

Jessica Snell said...

Hi Olivia - It's been a few years now since I read this, so I'm not sure. I don't recall anything explicit (I do usually try to note that in my reviews), but I know there are a few romantic elements, and part of the plot has to do with reproduction (i.e., solving the problem of why all the babies are dying). So there are some medical aspects having to do with reproduction.

Other than that, I don't recall any sexual content.