Sunday, July 17, 2011

the decluttering proceeds apace

Albeit a very slow, slow pace.

It's good though. This time, I'm enjoying decluttering not fast but well.

So, for example, when I got to the part of our dining room bookshelf where I'd shelved CD's that needed filing (we keep all of our music CD's in one giant folder, sans jewel cases), I didn't just file them in the folder. Adam & I went through the folder, pulled out music we don't listen too, put it in the donate pile, and cleared the electronic copies off of our computers. Then I filed the CD's that needed filing.

I'm enjoying taking that level of care as I go through all our house and organize it. I think it means that I'm going to be done somewhere around Christmas rather than at the end of summer, but I love the feeling of putting things into order - real order.


One of the odd things I've noticed as I work is that I have to go through most spaces two times, not just once. The first time I sweep up all the obvious stuff and either put it where it belongs, trash it, or donate it. Then - usually a week or two later, after the purpose of the space has had time to marinate in my mind - I come back and do a more thoughtful reorganizing: This is what we use this space for, so this is what should be here and this is how it should be arranged.

Like I said: it's a slow process. If you came over to my house right now, you wouldn't be impressed (especially as it's in its normal state of Sunday afternoon mess - clean up won't happen till after dinner).

But I can feel the difference as I move through my day-to-day routines. Chores are easier. The atmosphere is more peaceful.

I'm very happy we're doing this.

Anyone else doing some tardy spring cleaning?

Peace of Christ to you,

Jessica Snell

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Me! Mine is currently focused on clothing...getting rid of all the stuff that has been taking up space without earning it's keep!

Anne said...

Am desperately decluttering too. I've thrown away three massive bags of paper and haven't even started on the clothes. But I'm not going slow. I'm trying to get the whole house done in the next two weeks. Gasp.