Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday Scripture Readings

I got a double-dose of a lot of the Palm Sunday readings, because the St. James Devotional Guide readings matched up with what we read in church today*. Because of that, I'm actually remembering to blog about something I noticed in church today.
Matthew 27:18 says: For [Pilate] knew that it was out of envy that they had delivered him up.
And that reminded me of Proverbs 27:4: Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?
I don't have much to say besides simply pointing it out. But it is interesting to me that this, at least in a direct, practical sense, was what slew Jesus: envy. The envy of the chief priests and the officials. Who can stand before envy? Not even Him, on that day.
But, of course, He chose to submit Himself to that doom, He chose to submit Himself to death, so it isn't quite what it sounds. And He triumphed three days later. Against death. Against all sins. Even envy.
So, I'm not sure what it means or, I guess, how much it means. But I think those two verses next to each other are interesting. It certainly makes me want to check my own heart against that particular sin.
Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell
*In the Anglican church, Palm Sunday is also known as "Passion Sunday" because we read through the entire account of the Passion from one of the gospels on this day each year - this year it was Matthew.

No comments: