Tuesday, April 20, 2010

a few reasons I love homeschooling

My five-year-old just picked her next poem to memorize, and chose one by Christina Rossetti. She doesn't know who Rossetti is; she just liked it. 

(Reason #1: my kids get to fall in love with the great writers before they know they're great, thus proving that very greatness.)

Her brother heard her reciting it, and memorized it too, even though he's not technically in school yet.

(Reason #2: there're more chances for the younger ones to catch virtue from the older ones.)

Her brother's loud and happy recitation prompted her to learn the poem quickly and shout it all around the house.

(Reason #3: there're more chances for the older ones to catch enthusiasm from the younger ones.)

The shouts of the five-year-old and the four-year-old led to the two-year-old twins shouting lines from the poem ("Baby, honey!")

(Reason #4: the younger sibs get to know their school-age sibs - I know I sure missed my little brother when my sister and I were both in school.)

These are not a complete apology for homeschooling or anything like it, but they are perks I'm surely enjoying right now.

peace of Christ to you,

Jessica Snell

No comments: