Monday, September 21, 2009

look for me, baby

It's been a bit more than a month since my old computer died, but now I'm all set up on a spiffy little (and I mean little) new one. I love it; I've christened it Baby Ivan.

The past month has been full of good things, and a lot of them, I think, have been helped by being offline. There's been more breathing room in life, and in that time, I've:

-got our homeschool organized and started
-got some peace about having to leave our old church
-finish plotting my next novel (so excited about this one!)
-start a new housework routine
-thought about how I need to change how I use my computer
-read lots of books (reviews upcoming)
-learn how to care for long hair

Yes, the last one is a little weird, but doing the research was fun. I've been growing my hair out for a year now, and I thought that since I was planning on continuing, I ought to find out how to do it properly. Most interesting tip I found? That long hair ought to be treated as if it were old lace. Why? Because if your hair is very long at all, it's also very old, and so it's got to be treated gently or it will fall apart (i.e., start to split).

Most practical tip? Um, don't cut it. No, honestly, that's apparently what most people get wrong. They're always told to trim ever 6-8 weeks, but if you do that, you're probably cutting most, if not all, of your growth. The truth is, if your hair is healthy, you don't have to trim it more than about every six months.

Huh. I didn't think my first blog back would be talking about hair. But, there you go. I can braid it all the way around my head now, and I'm very happy about that.

Anyway, I missed you all. Though I've kept up on reading blogs (and so many of you are so encouraging), I've missed being part of the conversation. I'm looking forward to sharing more books, and homeschool plans, and kid stories, and church year celebrations, and novelist adventures as the year (finally! I hope!) slips out of summer and into the glorious, crisp, lovely clean air of fall.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. the title of this post refers to a song by Fiction Family. It's good. Buy it on iTunes. :)

5 comments:

MomCO3 said...

Welcome back! I've been missing you. I'm eager to hear your thoughtful thoughts =) on all sorts of things!
Blessings,
Annie

Heather said...

Hello again! Can you break down the long hair research into the Top 5, or Top 10 things you should do for hair care? I'm really interested as I am trying to grow mine out too! Thanks! :)

Kerry said...

WELCOME BACK! Good to see you back in the blogosphere. :) I think we need photos of your hair and Baby Ivan. LOL!

Amy said...

Can't wait to hear more!

Jessica Snell said...

Thanks, everybody!

Heather, I'll try to sum it all up in a post in a couple of days - it's really interesting stuff!

Kerry, I'll have to see if I can get those pictures for you. :)