Monday, September 28, 2009

St. Michael and All Angels tomorrow!

Just a reminder that the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels is tomorrow; for ideas, may I recommend this excellent post by Amy over at Splendor in the Ordinary? I really like her idea of having a special tea with her kids on various high holy days throughout the year!

I'm thinking of making St. Michael's Day Bannock (from the book The Catholic Home) or angelfood cake, but next year, I just might make devil's food cake. There were a lot of ladies at this site who apparently discovered that letting little kids stab devil's food cake with little cocktail swords makes an excellent visual aid to remind them that they must always fight against sin!

From that same site, I also found this collect:

God our Father,
in a wonderful way you guide the work of angels and men.
May those who serve you constantly in heaven
keep our lives safe from all harm on earth.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Anyone else celebrating Michaelmas tomorrow? Having just finished reading Daniel, I'm in a good place to keep it properly I think. Good heavens, that's a scary book.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

SarahLee08 said...

My St. Michael's bannock is cooling on the stove right now for tomorrow morning!

We're going to have apple turnovers, but no goose.

I don't know of any good ideas for children specifically, but I LOVE the idea of stabbing the devil's food cake.

Happy Michaelmas! I just posted about this at my blog,
http://fumblingtowardgrace.wordpress.com