Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sigmund, your slip is showing

The "guide us waking" is one of the prayers we pray with the children at bedtime sometimes (along with the Lord's Prayer, "now I lay me down to sleep", prayer for family and my daughter's favorite "Goodnight, Jesus. I love you. Amen.").

If you haven't heard it, this simple, profound prayer goes:

Guide us waking, oh Lord, and guard us sleeping.
That awake, we may watch with Christ
And asleep, we may rest in peace.


But tonight it came out of Adam's mouth:

Guide us waking, oh Lord, and guard us sleeping.
That asleep we may watch with Christ
And asleep we may rest in peace.


We were both laughing as we opened our eyes, and I said, "Actually, your version doesn't sound bad to me!"

peace of Christ to you,
from the so-very-ready-for-sleep
Jessica Snell

No comments: