Thursday, May 28, 2009

Carnivals of the Church Year: Pentecost


I didn't know what to expect when Kerry and I planned this carnival. But the more of these entries I read, the more excited I became. I love reading these stories about the work of the Holy Spirit in people's lives. And even the ones that are mostly about how to celebrate Pentecost carry in them a very clear understanding of why we celebrate Pentecost, of why it is so important that we have a member of the Trinity - God Himself - living with us, comforting us and strengthening us and guiding us. Because His presence with us means that we know God, that we are loved by God and that we are empowered to obey God.

Here is what this carnival reminds me of: have you ever been privileged to have a dear friend, and then to meet an old friend of that friend? Perhaps you've gotten to meet your mother's childhood friend, or your husband's best buddy from high school. And that old friend tells you a story or two about your dear friend, and all of the sudden you're overcome with even more fondness for your dear friend than you already possessed, because now you know even more about him or her, and can see not just what you find lovely about your friend, but you can see what your friend's friend finds lovely too. You know more, and so you can love more.

Reading these entries was a bit like that. I have known the Lord almost all of my life, yet, of course, still know Him very imperfectly. As I read these stories I have the simultaneous response of, "Oh yes, of course, that's just what He's like!" and "I didn't know that about Him - how wonderful!" It is a combination of familiarity and surprise that delights my heart and satisfies my soul.

Let's start with a post from my co-host for the Church Year Carnivals: Kerry of A Ten'o'Clock Scholar. She writes about fellowship as a spiritual discipline and as means the Holy Spirit uses to ignite our love. And she quotes Dallas Willards, so you know it's going to be good.

Ranee of Arabian Knits offers some specifics about how her family has celebrated Pentecost (BBQ, anyone?), but also offers some really good insight into how the church year works, and how following these traditions is especially useful for teaching children about God.

Amy of Splendor in the Ordinary talks about the Holy Spirit, Pentecost and baptism, as she looks forward to the baptism of three children at Pentecost this year! I especially appreciate her observation: "We could not do it alone, or even as a Church, without the Spirit." She also offers this very helpful post with concrete suggestions for celebrating Pentecost as a family.

Jeanne of At a Hen's Pace writes about Hearing the Voice of the Lord. More specifically, about how she knows when she's hearing from Him, and about the journey of discernment He's led her on. Great stuff.

Kelly, from The Liturgical Year For Little Ones, offers some great ideas and links for celebrating Pentecost with the little ones. I especially like the Dove Mobile idea, but check out also her ideas on decorating your home and throwing a birthday party for the church with your kids.

Amy, of On A Joyful Journey, offers an amazing testimony to the power of the Holy Spirit in her life. If you've ever wanted to hear what it's like to feel God's strength sustaining you when you had none of your own, of His peace being present in your heart when no peace should be possible, well, just go read Amy's words. I'm amazed and grateful, Amy, at the witness you offer to God's unfailing love.

Keith from Under the Acacias shares a missionary's perspective on Pentecost. The Holy Spirit is still prompting people to share the good news about Jesus. Read about both the first Pentecost and a church service 20 centuries later in Burkina Faso.

Here is a piece of poetry for Pentecost, from Tara at Storyformed, entitled Wildfire. Doesn't it seem appropriate to write poetry for the feast of the Holy Spirit? After all, we have all the wisdom literature in the Bible because He inspired the authors to write it.

And we end with a short and profound meditation from Ann, of Learning as We Go.

Thank you all for participating and for reading. The next carnival will be held for Kerry during Ordinary Time.

Finally, if you sent me a link and I forgot to include it, please let me know, so I can correct my error.

Happy Pentecost!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Incredible carnival! Thanks so much for hosting.

Unknown said...

Jessica, what a lovely roundup of reflections and resources. I'm so glad you and Kerry organized this. I wish I'd been able to participate, but health issues and electrical power problems at our team's office here in Africa have kept my blogging to near zero in the last week.

I've posted a link to your carnival and added a few more links at Lent & Beyond. The Anglican Mainstream entry with a roundup of reflections on Pentecost and the Holy Spirit from various saints and Church Fathers is particularly worth reading.

Blessings,
Karen B, Lent & Beyond
http://anglicanprayer.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/pentecost-links-around-the-blogosphere/

Kerry said...

Talk about the Holy Spirit - look how He formed this carnival! Just a couple of days ago we were concerned about not having enough posts...and now look! I can't WAIT to dig into all these wonderful looking posts. Your analogy of meeting someone from a friend's past and having your fondness for them grow is so true!

Thank you, Jessica, for going in on this idea with me. I'd never have pulled it off...

I'm already excited about the next one carnival!