Thursday, March 12, 2009

sleepy, sleepy us

Yesterday, by the time my husband came home, one of our four children had napped for one hour . . . and that was the sum total of napping for the day. One hour. For one child. The rest had been up the entire day.

Cranky kids, cranky me. It was not one of our finest hours. (Or eight of our finest hours, either.)

But it turned out to be a mercy, because their sleepless day prompted our kids to fall asleep right at their eight’o’clock bedtime, which hadn’t happened since the (awful, terrible, no good, very bad) Daylight Savings time switch. I have hopes that we’ve now gotten mostly back into our normal sleep routine. So our awful day operated as a corrective to our recently-screwed-up schedule.

It just seemed like a strange, small, severe mercy. I don’t know what else to say about it, except that on this side of it, I’m glad it happened. One crappy day probably saved us numerous crappy nights. But I couldn’t have known that. God works in the small things, sometimes, but He doesn't always tell us what He's doing, I think.

On the other hand, I didn't ask. Next time something seems screwed up, I want to remember to 1) accept it from his hand and 2) ask why. Not that he has to tell me. But it strikes me that I should have asked.

Anyone else recently have something that seemed to be bad that turned out to be good?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: