Sunday, March 1, 2009

new and glorious mistakes

You'd think that after awhile sewing would get boring.

No, no. This gentle art keeps things fresh by always, always giving you new and glorious mistakes to make.

Today I was working on a shirt. I'd found a quilting cotton that was much too beautifully colored to not become an article of clothing: a lovely, rich dark blue scattered with small roses. It's not often a winter like me finds florals that work for her, so I snatched up a yard of it and I've been working on and off on this shirt for a couple of weeks. You know, as I had a minute here and there.

Today I'd gotten as far as making the facing for the neck opening. After sewing it together (French seams! so finished! so fancy!) and then hemming the edge (carefully around the curves!), I got ready to pin it to the shirt itself.

Must make sure it's straight. I turn it over. Turn it over again. And again. And it's not coming straight.

I finally stop turning it and hold it out at arm's length.

Ah. That would be the problem.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I managed to sew the facing into a Mobius Loop.

See? How can anything that includes Mobius Loops ever get boring? I love sewing!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

That is hilarious. :) I have a skirt that I want to work on someday soon. Hey, when you get out of RSV quarantine you should come over and we'll sew together and let the kids play. :) Wouldn't that be fun (at least to attempt?)

Tienne said...

Oh my goodness! I've just started sewing and have my first project ready to begin, and I'm scared because I KNOW I'm going to mess it up somehow. I take inspiration from your post: it's the unexpected that keeps it interesting!