Wednesday, November 19, 2008

writing and the morning.

The day stretches before me, and I'm curious about what it holds. It's my first breathing space of the day; after the rush of breakfast and diapers and nursing, and cleaning up from breakfast and reading some books and nursing again, the babies are down for their naps and the kids are down for their quiet times. Or, rather, up, since I'm the one sitting in the living room at the bottom of the stairs.

I'm always puzzled at what to do with this short half hour or forty-five minutes of peace. Do I pray? do I relax? do I try to get some chores done? do I write?

Often I do some combination of the four. I'll start by puttering around a bit with the house stuff: move this over there, put that away, start this part of dinner so the end of the day is less harried. Today it was getting all the dirty clothes into the laundry bags and fishing out a recipe for herbed bread that I want to make to go with tonight's creamy veggie soup. Then a bit of relaxation: reading a snatch of TWOP's recap of Survivor (the one TV show we actually watch on the TV - over at my mother-in-law's; what can I say? it's become a Grandma-time tradition: dinner and Survivor). And now the tea is on, and I might read through the morning daily devotion in the BCP and then try to get a bit more of my novel rewritten.

The novel now, that's a thing. I wrote it in the small space between when my son started sleeping through the night and when I got pregnant with Lucy and Anna. Now that Lucy and Anna are - not sleeping through the night - but only waking up once to nurse - I'm starting to rewrite it. I didn't expect to be doing it so soon, but my husband, who hadn't read it yet, started reading it aloud to me during our dishes-and-clean-up time that we have every night after the squirts are a in bed, and hearing the words rather than seeing them has given me a gift I never expected to have: the gift of being able to experience my own words as a reader, and not a writer. I'm terribly afraid Adam has just let himself in for an entire lifetime of reading my work back to me. Brave man.

So I am working on the little, obvious fixes that I've noted. Add dialogue here. Make that character more consistant throughout. Show, don't tell, that they had a lot of fun at the dinner party. And in the midst of these little changes, I'm hoping that the bigger one makes itself clear. The story starts with a flourish, and ends with a delightful build-up of tension and an even more delightful release, but there is something missing from the beginning-middle of the book, and though I can feel the shape of what ought to be there, I don't know the specifics yet.

The shape of the change is so clear in my mind; when I talk about it, I always make the same low, round motion with my hands. But I don't know exactly how it is to be done yet. So I'm hoping that by fixing the easy things - this paragraph, that scene - I'll be able to lure the big change out of hiding. It's there, I know it, I can feel it, and I hope that by innocently working in its vicinity, while paying it no direct mind, it will come out of hiding, and show me its face.

But for now? Tea and Psalms. I've read all the way through them again, my one consistant piece of Scripture reading this year, and I'm back at the beginning: "Blessed is the man . . ."

That, and perhaps the biography of St. Elizabeth of Hungary that I got out of the library. Today is her saint day, and I know nothing about her except that one of the other liturgical blogging moms around her had her daughter dress up as St. E of H for Halloween. It made me curious, and so now I have an old, yellow hardback from the library that's going to assuage my curiosity. I should have read it last week, but I was deep in the middle of Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. That's done as of this morning though, and so to St. E of H I go!

I hope your morning goes well, and that the best possibiities of the day become reality.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally hear you on the rewriting thing. That's similar to how I feel about my novel (I just started rewriting a little recently)...like there's something missing and I almostbutnotquite know what that is. And I'm doing the same thing, rewriting bits and pieces in the hopes that a larger picture will become clear. Good luck!

melanie said...

jessica,
I enjoy reading your blog... I can really relate to your experiences, as I have twins too, although they are 2 years old now. I can't believe they grew so fast. I remember the morning naps and the quiet. Now it's pretty noisy here all the time, although when they are napping after lunch I corral the older kinds into doing something quiet while I pray my rosary. I'm homeschooling on top of it all, so I try to get a lot of our school work done in the afternoon while the twins are napping.

I do love bedtime at night though. It's always a blessing to walk into my bedroom at night with no little kids following behind me and be able to curl up with a book, or with my husband in the quiet.

have a lovely day! and enjoy those few moments you get :-)

Ruthie said...

A question for you on the general nature of the blog rather than this specific post. . . As I was getting ready for bed after reading your post I was thinking of how you've managed to think through things - and carry them out - before they happen, like, say, preparing to eat spicy food on Pentecost. This is my problem. I keep notes on ideas that pop in my head or clip from magazines, books, (blogs!), etc., but they haven't organized themselves enough to actually happen (well, not as much as I want, anyway). They stay in their month pocket and don't make it to my calendar, and therefore into our daily lives. So. . . how do you do it? Also, specific books, calendars? I do have some planning time, a mother's sabbath, on Saturday mornings, and I really should do some of that then, I suppose. Anyway, thanks! Ruthie

At A Hen's Pace said...

Jessica--

Fascinating to hear how you rewrite!

And I loved your Advent suggestions and thoughts on teaching a seasonal hymn a month. Great ideas!!

~Jeanne