Tuesday, April 19, 2016

OCCWC 2016, part I

If a con attendee comes home without handouts, did the con attendee actually attend the con?

This past weekend, I had the joy and honor of attending the Orange County Christian Writers' Conference as a member of the staff. I went as a representative of Kalos Press, and committed to spending both days in the Resource Room, taking appointments with writers who wanted to talk about small press publishing, working with an editor, tightening up queries or proposals, or, frankly, anything else writing-related that came up.

Of course, the real fun of teaching or presenting any subject is that you learn twice as much in the process as your students or listeners do, and this weekend's con was no exception to that rule. In listening to the attendees - as well as to the other editors and writers on the staff - I learned a ton, and met some amazing Christians who have made wrestling with words their lives' work.

So, over the next few days, I'm going to post about the things I learned from my time there, the things I found myself repeating over and over as I met with new writers, and (best of all) about the amazing people that I met as we all gathered together to celebrate books, writing, and words.


Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell


1 comment:

Kathy Ide said...

I'm SO thrilled that you were able to serve on our faculty, Jessica! And that it was such a positive experience for you. I'm really looking forward to reading your upcoming blog posts!