Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Retconning Christina Perri's "Arms"

So, I have a very abashed love of Christina Perri's song "Arms". I've listened to it more times than I care to admit, but always feel a bit goofy doing so because it is so very, very angsty.

Why do I listen to it so much? Well:
1) The music is very pretty.
2) The line: "You put your arms around me and I'm home." Yep. That.

But then you get to lines like:

"I can't decide if I'll let you save my life or if I'll drown."

Le adolescent SIGH.

 But! wait! Adam and I totally figured out a way to save this song from its own teenaged melancholy.

What if you take it literally? What if - what if the singer is actually a SUPERHERO and her boyfriend is a SUPERHERO too, and so when you get to lines like:

"I hope that you see right through my walls"

it's because he has X-RAY VISION and -

oh, wait. That's totally creepy. But WAIT. What about the next line:

"I hope that you catch me, 'cause I'm already falling"?

That's totally Superman-and-Lois-Lane stuff right there. It's perfect.  Other great lines in the song that take on totally different meanings if it's about a pair of superheroes:

- "The world is coming down on me" (because a super-villain is collapsing it with a doomsday device . . .)
- "I never thought you would be the one to hold my heart" (eww . . .)
- "you knocked me off the ground right from the start" (stupid Hulk . . .)
- "I can't make you bleed if I'm alone" (eww, again, but kind of reminiscent of Rogue)

Eh? eh?

Still, if even after all that fan-fic-ish revision you still need a palate-cleanser from all the moping, here's "Cheer Up, Hamlet":

Better now, right? :)

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! It made me think of Tina Fey's Rules of Improv (as told in her Bossypants book).