Sunday, October 7, 2012

a quick follow-up on my TV post: "Parks and Rec" and "Grimm"

I got lots of recommendations on this post, and I've not managed to try all of them yet, but I tried a few, and wanted to give feedback:

1. Parks and Recreation - I'm sorry, I'm not feeling it. The couple of episodes I watched had a few laugh-out-loud moments, but mostly just felt really sloooooow. Though I liked the mustachio'd dept. head. Maybe the problem is that I've actually done my time working for the government?

2. Grimm - love it! So glad I gave this one a second try. I'm still not loving the parts that detail the squickier crimes (but really, I don't think you're supposed to), but the characters have completely won me over.

I love that it's a fantasy where the heroes are not angsty. There's no, "oh woe is me, no one understands my specialness and my pain". No, you've got some normal, decent people in extraordinary circumstances who act like . . . well, like normal, decent people would act in extraordinary circumstances. They're grown-ups, not teenagers. That's fun to watch.

And I love Monroe, especially. What a great character!

Oh, one caveat to the "how-normal-people-would-act": why hasn't the hero just sat down and memorized the books his aunt left him? If you're given a guide that explains how to kill the monsters who are out to destroy you, why don't you study it so you don't have to stop and look up how to do your job every time a new monster shows up? (I know, I know, it's so there's a chance to exposit the characteristics of the new monster-of-the-week to the viewer. But still.)

Anyway, anyone who reads this blog knows I'm a sucker for entertaining spec. fic., and this show definitely fits the bill. Thanks for the recommendation!

-Jessica Snell

2 comments:

Susanne Dietze said...

I confess--I love Grimm. To me, it's a good blend of character struggle, action, suspense, and mystery.

Monroe is so much fun. I loved seeing how he decorated his house last Christmas.

Thanks, Jessica!

Jessica Snell said...

Yay, another Grimm lover! :) I haven't actually seen Monroe's Christmas decorations - I missed the second half of last year's episodes. But I have them on request at the library, so I should get to see them soon - gives me something to look forward to. :)