Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lenten blog carnival, anyone?

Back in 2007, I hosted a Lenten blog carnival. It was a great chance to gather together thoughts and meditations on Ash Wednesday in particular and Lent in general.

The next year, while the twins and I were in hospital, Kerry hosted an Anglican family Lent.

This year, I would be glad to have it here again, but as Lent sort of crept up on me (Epiphany was long this year!), it's not going to be hosted today, but in a week and a half, on the second Sunday of Lent (March 8).

I think this will actually work better than having it on Ash Wednesday, because it will allow me to post links to all of the posts you wonderful writers publish today, as you start your Lenten journey this year (I've already read some very good ones).

So . . . if you would like to participate, please email me the link to your post on Lent, celebrating Lent with your little ones, observing it by yourself, worshipping during Lent, fasting and prayer, etc. sometime in this next week. I'll stop accepting links this time next week, and get the post up on Sunday, March 8, full of good links to contemplate during the last month of Lent.

You can find my email in my profile on the sidebar. I'm really looking forward to reading all of your thoughts and meditations; it's so good to hear from one another, and to share with each other what good things and hard changes God has been giving us and leading us towards during this season.

Send links!

And, in closing, here is part of the Blessed George Herbert's poem, Lent:

It's true, we cannot reach Christ's forti'eth day;
Yet to go part of that religious way,
Is better than to rest:
We cannot reach our Saviour's purity;
Yet we are bid, 'Be holy ev'n as he, '
In both let's do our best.

Who goeth in the way which Christ hath gone,
Is much more sure to meet with him, than one
That travelleth by-ways:
Perhaps my God, though he be far before,
May turn and take me by the hand, and more:
May strengthen my decays.


Read the whole thing here.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. I'm Anglican, but posts from other Protestant denominations, as well as Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, are equally welcome.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I hope to be blogging about Lent - perhaps there will be something useful to contribute to the carnival.

Amy said...

Excited about the carnival. Thanks for hosting!

Tara Malouf said...

I also hope to be blogging about Lent and came across your blog from Amy's (whom I don't know, but she commented on my wordpress blog). All that to say, I'll be blogging at http://storyformed.wordpress.com/ (NOT at my blogger site).

Kerry said...

Jessica - I'm so glad you are doing this! I'd expected to be home well before Ash Wednesday and thought I might try to do a Lent event...but that didn't happen! (we are still in Ghana!)

I really hope I am home and will be able to participate in your carnival! I will try to post an announcement on my blog....internet is sketchy here, so we'll see.

Pray our visa is issued Tuesday and we can return Wednesday!

Ma Torg said...

http://torgusborg.blogspot.com/2009/02/lenten-activities.html