Tuesday, January 13, 2009

a recipe and a few links

I was reading an article on making pasta dishes for kids, and thought I'd share what is a once or twice weekly midday meal at our house:

Jess' Mac'n'Cheese

-Bring water to boil. Add noodles from a box of mac'n'cheese. Also add 2 1/2-3 cups of mixed frozen veggies (carrots, peas, beans, corn). Return to boil, cook till, um, cooked. Drain. Add about 2 tsp. butter and a bit less than 1/2 cup milk (NOT 1/4 c. butter, 1/4 c. milk, as called for one the box). Add cheese sauce mix. Add a can of drained tuna. Add some REAL cheese (shredded Cheddar or Parmesan). Stir till mixed. Serve.

It's really pretty good. Very, very doctored mac'n'cheese. I do the butter and milk by putting a bit of butter in my 1/2 c. measure, and just filling the rest up with milk. It makes it a lot healthier. (I negate that a bit with the extra cheese, but the taste tradeoff can't be denied.)
It's pretty yummy, and even the babies snarf it down.


Okay, links:

-A Biblical Theology of the Arab Peoples. Very interesting.
-a very in-depth interview on the new lead law. Turns out thrift stores might not be so safe after all, and home artisans certainly aren't.
-a bio of Laud, along with a heartfelt prayer of his for the unity of the church. These words express the prayer of my heart better than I ever could: "O merciful God, since Thou hast ordered me to live in these times, in which the rents of Thy Church are grievous; I humbly beseech Thee to guide me, that the divisions of men may not separate me either from Thee or it . . ."
-This method of writing/plotting a novel, based on the way computer programmers write programs, is incredible. Helpful for rewriting, too!
-Following the Laud prayer above, R.A. Torrey on what to do when you're in a church where the pastor is preaching falsehood.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

No comments: