Friday, January 9, 2009

7 Quick Takes

-1-
I do love listening to NPR, biased as they are, but recently I haven’t been able to help but wonder how in the world they’re going to fill their hours of programming once they’re deprived of the time-consuming, mouth-filling phrase “President-elect Barack Obama.” Seriously, if they just cut that phrase out of the last week of programming, they’d only have enough words to fill three days. Well, that phrase coupled with “slobber, slobber, slobber.”

-2-
I have winterized my patio. Here in SoCal, that means I uprooted the basil that finally died (no more fresh basil for a couple of months - yes, we're spoiled here) and replaced it with lantanas and geraniums. My excellent husband also rearranged the stuff on the patio so that we now see green plants out of our living room window rather than grill and pots. Yay! I love the view out of our window now.

-3-
The problem with 11 month old twins is there isn’t an older one to whom you can tell, “no, share with your sister; she’s younger than you, you know.”

It goes like this at our house:
Anna: yay, I’m playing with the phone. This rocks.
Lucy: ooh, phone. –snatch!-
Anna: WAAAAAH, SHE STOLE MY PHOOOOOONE. –snatch!-
Lucy: WAAAAAAAAH, SHE STOLE MY PHOOOOOOONE. –snatch!-
Anna: WAAAAAAAAH, SHE STOLE MY PHOOOOOONE!, etc.

-4-
Making a craft tutorial is hard! I never thought it wasn’t, but now that I’m actually working on one myself, I’m finding I have scads more admiration for the folks who’ve made the ones I’ve used in the past. It takes awhile to take all the pictures, just to start.

Also, I have an admiration for other folks’ photography abilities. And the quality of their camaras!

-5-
It is very hard to be in RSV quarantine when your church is in the middle of deciding what it’s going to do about being in the Episcopal Church. Our church is having a meeting this Sunday that’s going to be hours and hours long, and I can’t go. (The twins nurse about every two hours, and our church is half an hour away, which means I could be there for an hour, tops, as the twins can’t be out in crowds this winter.)

On the other hand, I get a lot of practice praying and trusting God, since I can’t do much about the situation myself!

-6-
You know the previous entry? Well, suffice it to say, that these days, I’m really, really, really wishing I could convert to Catholicism.

(I can’t in good conscience, for various theological reasons, but to my Roman Catholic readers – and Eastern Orthodox - boy I envy you both your persistent orthodoxy and your unity!)

-7-
It sounds like we might still be able to buy used kids’ clothes at thrift stores – the CPSC has further clarified the lead law going into effect in February. It still leaves small artisans in the cold, but it’s a start!

Thanks to Jen for hosting the Quick Takes - visit her site for more!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

4 comments:

melanie said...

Ahhh... twins.. yes. Except with two little BOYS it goes like this:

1:'oh I love this phone'
2:'oh I love that phone'

2: grabs phone from 1
1: bites hand of #2 holding phone and extracts it from his grasp
2: bites back of #1 while he is escaping

1&2: screaming, both run to mommy

melanie said...

Jessica,
re: the whole church thing. I will pray for you. It is terribly troubling to not have a firm foundation under your feet with regards to your church. I was an Anglican for many years and when I started to have questions that my church couldn't answer, and the bible seemed to be interpreted differently everywhere I looked, it was very scary. I didn't know where God wanted me to be. It was terrifying. The thought of Catholicism was terrifying... I went so far as to tell my boyfriend (now husband) that we couldn't get married if he became a Catholic (which he was at the time investigating).

It's a long story... an ongoing journey, but I just wanted to say I'll pray for you :-)

Kerry said...

Well aren't we just two peas in a pod. I, too, love NPR, despite (or maybe even because of) their blatant bias. I recently hear a "reporter" talking about how the democrats didn't want to appear to be embroiled in a controversy like the Republicans. Implying (by her wording - which I've managed to forget) that all "wrongdoing" done on the Hill is by Republicans.

I also often have daydreams of ditching Protestantism and swimming the Tiber or Bosphorus...but just can't do it for a number of reasons. But, yes, it is the unity that draws me. It is a sign of the Holy Spirit.

So- are the twins susceptible to RSV? Is it age? Just curious. I friends baby has RSV and he's just such and unhappy camper. She's handling it really well - (he's #4), but I'm sure it is a hard illness.

Anne Marie said...

Ah, a California winter. I remember them fondly. I'm getting a foot of snow at the moment. Yuck!!!

Without seaming pushy, could you post one day about the theological differences keeping out of the RC Church? I searched and search when I was converting and I could not find a thing, but I'm by no means a trained theologian. I'm always curious what I may have missed. I ask out of curiousity because I really didn't want to convert, I was happy where I was.

I don't see leaving the Church, I've come to believe everything she teaches, but I'm still wondering, did I miss something?