Thursday, March 6, 2008

prayer in less-than-ideal circumstances

My babies are home. Hence the lack of posts the last few days.

And my heart is full. There have been several times the last few days when I have glanced around the room, seen every single one of my family members, and closed my eyes in a moment of absolute pleasure, simply savoring the presence of all five of them: husband, son and three daughters, in the same place as me, for the first time in over two months. (Well, the first time with all of the daughters on the outside.)

And my hands are full. (By the way, am I the only woman who gets "boy, you have your hands full!" from every chance-met stranger in the store, on the street, at the library? Not the worse thing to hear, certainly, but awfully repetitive.) Our twins aren't yet nursing exclusively, and so in addition to taking one hour out of every three to feed them, my husband and I are spending lots of time washing bottle and breastpump parts, and I'm spending time pumping. And we're taking care of our two older children. And no, I don't know how I'm going to do it when my husband goes back to work, but I have the suspicion that God will provide grace to me when that happens, and not before.

Anyway, on a liturgical note, Jen's suggestion that one ought to pray more when one is busy and not less has been ringing in my mind. And I have to agree with her. Just about the best thing that came out of my month and a half long hospitalization was a deeper sense of God's presence. After all, it was mostly just me and Him every day, for all those days.

But my prayers the past couple of days have been scattered and worried, something long the lines of, "Please help them eat, Lord. Oh they did. Oh, thank you. Oh dear, what should I do next? Do you know? Of course you do. Hmm, wish I did." And so on.

The best remedy when your prayers sound like that is to 1) be okay with it. After all, we listen to OUR children babble, and why wouldn't our heavenly Father listen to us? and 2) Take the time to pray a few prayers that were a) written by people who were further along on the path of sainthood and b) not sleep-deprived.

There are, of course, lots of prayers like that in the Book of Common Prayer, and even more in the Psalms. But what's worked for me the past few days has been singing hymns. But not just singing them, but praying them as I sing them. I've found that after singing several hymns, with all their good theology and excellent music (yes, such hymns exist), my babbling prayers during the rest of the day are less worried and more just contentedly tired. More full of trust and less full of anxiety. Because the hymns have reminded me of the nature of our Lord, and how is He is both ever-ready to help those who turn to Him and ever-powerful to perform that help.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. I would, of course, appreciate your prayers, should you feel led. Especially that our little girls continue to eat and gain weight, and maybe even learn how to nurse. :) God bless you!

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Having five children I used to get the "hands full" comment a lot. I remember a man saying it to me as we were entering the library one day. I looked him in the eye and said "Better than having them empty" He looked taken aback and said, "Yes, I guess so"
I smile when I think of it, cause it's so true. :)
Congrats on your twins coming home!
Blessings,
Anne

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I get the "you have your hands full" comment all the time. Constantly. I just say "I like it that way" and smile at them. :) Just lately as I'm starting to feel self-consciously popped out, I've been wondering how often I'll get "you're NUTS" looks from people when they see I have both hands AND belly full!

Amber said...

Regarding that hands full thing, I can't tell you how many times I've had the following happen: someone looks at my two little ones (6 and 2) then see my belly and say "Oh my, and another one! You have your hands full!" Three doesn't seem that many to me, especially not with how far apart they are in age... but anyways, I'm so happy that you all are home and doing well. Thanks for continuing to check in, I really enjoy your posts and I'll keep praying for you all.

Anne said...

Many continued prayers. I like having mine all together too, in the same room, altogether. I hate the idea of them all going away. Anyway, many many prayers, as always.

At A Hen's Pace said...

So glad to hear that the twins are home!!

I'm praying for you and especially that they'll learn to nurse soon. Breastfeeding will be a lot less time-consuming, I bet!

~Jeanne

Kerry said...

Oh, Welcome HOME!! I know you are just so happy to have your family all at home. Still praying for you and your new girls...

Kerry