Thursday, June 30, 2016

Savory Oatmeal with Garlic, Cherry Tomatoes, Mushrooms, & Pepperjack

I have a new favorite breakfast. It lets me indulge in all my love of salty carbs, and still has a pretty reasonable calorie count and lots of fiber and vitamins and produce and other good stuff like that.

It's savory oatmeal.

Yes: all the health benefits of oatmeal can be yours, without once indulging in some overly-sweetened, pre-packaged junk that only a seven-year-old could love.

You can add any good and savory thing you like--I've heard tell of plopping a fried egg on top, or mixing in some sautéed onions--but this is how I like mine.

First, I measure in my half-cup of dry instant oats, and then I sprinkle in a generous amount of garlic powder, and a reasonable few shakes of salt and red pepper flakes:



Then I add my cup of water, mix, and microwave according to the directions on the tub--about a minute and a half on high.

Then I add a small can of drained mushrooms, about a cup of chopped-up tomatoes, and an ounce of pepperjack:



Then I pour some milk--maybe half a cup?--over the top and mix it all together:



Mmm. A big bowl of salty, carb-y goodness, all under 400 calories, and with 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber, to boot.


Eat hearty!

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell



No comments: