Tuesday, March 13, 2007

WFMW: double French roll


Okay, so this is a slightly strange Works for me Wednesday, but this has worked for me all day long:





It's a double french roll. A real french roll is extremely elegant, and very hard to do. This, on the other hand, took less than five minutes, and it's stayed in all day. (And I don't know about you, but I always feel better when I don't have to fix my hair every five minutes, or push it out of my face every ten.) Now - you can see it's not perfect, but I still felt prettier than I do with just a ponytail. :)

To do it, put the top half of your hair up in a rubberband (loop your hair so that it's all up on top of your head, out of the way of the bottom half). Then, take the loose bottom half of your hair, twist it round a pen or a chopstick, and roll it all towards your head. You want to end up with the chopstick vertical, if that makes sense. Stick a couple of long bobby pins alongside the chopstick, pinning the rolled hair to the hair next to your scalp. Slide the chopstick out - your hair roll should stay put.

Take the top half of your hair out of the rubberband, and repeat the above rolling and pinning process with the top half of your hair. Pin any loose bits in. All done!



This works best with wet hair, btw. It's working for me - hope it works for you!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

p.s. Some of you wanted to see how my wading pool cutting garden turned out. Here's a progress pic:

5 comments:

Mom said...

I love BOTH ideas! I have long hair and it is so hard to keep it up and looking decent. Thanks for the tip!

Amber said...

I'll just have to try that! I have long hair that I usually just wind into a lazy bun sort of thing that is held in place by a cloth pony-tail holder. Not great, but better than a pony-tail, I think. But I like what you came up with even better - but we'll see if I can figure out how to do it! :-)

Monkey Kisses said...

I absolutely love your pool garden!!! what an awesome idea!! i may steal it!!!! Also, the updo!!! great!!! you can also just do the top half for an elegan evening look if you dont want an all up do!!!! (signed the hairdresser)

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

First, let me say that your hair is just beautiful! The color, the shine...oh my, I might be gushing.

Second, I think I may actually try this with my semi-long hair, cause with a ponytail I just look junky.

Thanks - It sounds pretty easy!

Alexandra said...

I love your pool garden. I've seen that mentioned before at gardenweb, but haven't tried it yet. Some people in colder climates use tires!

I gave you a blog hat tip for the More With Less cookbook. I got it the other day and I love it!