Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Yarnalong: Color Affection and Beth Vogt


I've been wanting to knit a Color Affection forever (me and everyone else, right?), and come vacation, I let myself cast on, disregarding my already-large pile of WIPs.

I love it. Wow. Relaxing garter stitch? Check. Gorgeous, curving lines? Check. Simple in an elegant way? Check. Works well with my favorite colors? Check, check, check.

I love this pattern, and I love how it's turning out. The white yarn is Knitpicks Palette, and the purple/pink yarn in the already-knit stripes is Knitpicks Chroma fingering, in U-Pick. The green-blue yarn by the book is the third color, and it's Wisdom Yarns Poems Sock.

The book is "Wish You Were Here", by Beth Vogt. I'm loving this book too. It's got such a ridiculously fun high-concept premise ("Bride leaves groom at the altar!"), but - while delivering every squirmy detail of the fallout of the heroine's impulsive dash from the church - it's actually a book with realistic characters and a compelling plot that lasts way past the events of the wedding. It's really about this girl who - much too late, and yet not quite too late - figured out that she isn't who she'd been pretending to be, and has to be brave enough to try to be the person she actually is. Who has to deal with the hurt she's done, and that has been done to her, and then, and only then, try to figure out what ought to come next.

I like it. I'm only about halfway through, so I admit that it's possible it'll crash and burn (and I'm really, really curious how the author's going to manage to make the romantic relationship come out okay), but so far I like it a lot, and it's good enough I trust Vogt's going to bring me in for a safe landing. :)

Check out more yarn-y goodness here, at Small Things.

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. To visitors from the yarnalong, you might want to check out this post about Stephannie Tallent, the author of California Revival Knits.

2 comments:

SarahFay said...

Wow! Your Color Affection is looking very beautiful. Love the colors you've chosen.

One Acre Follies said...

Very pretty! I may have to add this to my list.