Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In My Feedreader, Part I: Christian Thinkers

I'm starting a new blog series, occasioned by the realization that the sidebars on my blog were in serious need of an update. As I update them, I thought I'd do some posts highlighting the places on the web that I enjoy visiting. These posts aren't going to be exhaustive - for instance, I'll probably not include sites that I've just started reading (because I don't know enough to recommend them yet) or that don't post too frequently or friends' sites when I'm not sure the friends want lots of public traffic.

But there's so much good writing being done on the Web and I think it's worthwhile, every now and then, to put up a big flashing arrow and a "GO HERE" sign pointing the way towards the more excellent sites.

So, to start, some Christian thinkers I enjoy reading:

Mere Orthodoxy - helmed by Matthew Anderson (whose recent book "Earthen Vessels" an evangelical, theological look at the role of the body in our faith, is well worth a look), this site is full of thoughtful essays on current events, politics, the arts, and more.

Mere Comments - the blog of Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity. Similar to "Mere Orthodoxy", but ecumenical, not just Protestant evangelical.

Brandywine Books - Lars Walker's blog. Walker is an author I thoroughly enjoy, and he posts notes on current events, great book reviews, and other interesting tidbits.

Stand Firm - notes on the Anglican world, sometimes with side trips into politics.

Frederica Mathewes-Green: the site of one of my favorite authors, Mathewes-Green frequently posts thoughtful essays and good reviews of books and movies.

Tim Challies - a reformed blogger (should that be a capital "R" in "reformed"? I'm never sure), Challies takes on current events in the Protestant world, writes good book reviews, and regularly posts great lists of links to other interesting goings-on around the 'Net.

Conversion Diary - Jennifer Fulwiler's blog. A Catholic convert from atheism, I don't think Jennifer's written a boring post in her life.

Daily Reflections - Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon's commentary on the daily readings.

The Scriptorium - the blog of the professors of the Torrey Honors Institute, the great books program at Biola University.

2nd Floor, Looking West - a pastoral blog of an Anglican rector in Long Beach, CA.

Ed Eubanks - the blog of a Presbyterian writer and pastor, it includes thoughts on Christian ethics, book reviews, and more.


Next up, my favorite writing blogs!

Peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell



No comments: