Monday, October 19, 2009

going grey

I just read a long thread in the well-trained mind forums about hair-dying. It was really funny, because most of the responses were something along the lines of "well, I'm fine with others going grey, but I started going grey so early that I had to dye."

Which makes me think that, actually, it's probably pretty normal to start go grey in your twenties. We just don't think it is because there are so few women in our country who don't dye their hair.

I freely admit my bias: I dislike dyed hair. Doesn't make me think horribly of women who do, I just really prefer seeing real hair. I think it's more interesting.

But, whichever side of the (non)debate you fall on, isn't it weird to think that we see so little natural hair that we have no real idea anymore of when people commonly go grey? Or how much of the population actually is blonde? (A much smaller proportion than you'd think if you just go by how much blonde hair you see. Same for redheads.)

I think the funniest story about this I've heard comes from my mother, who has the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen (which, sadly, I didn't inherit). It's a deep gold. Just the loveliest dark blonde, with natural light highlights and red lowlights. And unlike most blondes, it's incredibly thick. (Did I mention that somehow it didn't get passed on to me?)

Okay, actually I like my hair. And with my olive skin, I'd make a really silly blonde. But still. Not fair. (Also not fair? The fact that my brother has long eyelashes and I don't. He's a boy! He doesn't need them!) (Um. Love you, Josh!)

Anyway, one day my mother was standing in line at the grocery store, and a lady waiting with her asked her where she'd had it done. My mom thanked her, but said that it was natural. The lady said, "No, where did you get it done?" "I was born with it." "No, really! Where . . ." The conversation continued along these lines for awhile, my mom insisting she was born with it, until the lady threw a fit and said, "Fine! Don't tell me!"

What's so funny about this story to me is that fake color has become so common in our society, that when someone sees the real thing, she can't believe it isn't fake. If I were a preacher, I'm sure I could get a moral out of that somehow.

My mom's hair is starting to go grey now, though it's hard to see, since the grey blends in with the blonde. My hair is going grey too, and it's easier to see, since I'm dark, although it's still just four or five hairs.

Will I dye my hair as the number increases? I don't know. I don't plan to, but I now you change your mind about things sometimes as you get older.

Though from what I've observed so far about my greys, I think I'd rather have their texture changed than their color! (And I could see dying my hair grey completely if the slow transition gets to be too much of a pain. Honestly, I'm hoping for my great-grandma's beautiful pure white.)

What about you? Do you think it's weird that seeing a grey-haired sixty-year old is less common than seeing a brunette one? Did you (like me) start to go grey in your twenties? Is our idea of what "looking old" is screwed up? Do you like dying your hair, and if so, do you think that fake highlights ever look as good as real ones? I know I'm in the minority on my opinion about how dyed hair looks, so I'm curious about what it looks like from the other side.

And again: no great moral point here, and no hate for those who are on the other side of this. It seems to me mainly about aesthetics. (Though here is a fascinating article about some of the possible sociological effects.) Any thoughts?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

p.s. Okay, I don't quite hate all dyed hair. I think that dyed hair that is an unnatural color (e.g., purple) is kind of fun. I don't like dyed hair that is trying to look natural, 'cause it's annoying. Dyed hair that's trying to look dyed? I think is kind of awesome. :)

8 comments:

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

Perhaps it is because I have been going grey (white, really) since my freshman year in high school, but it doesn't really bother me. I like the shock of white in my dark hair. Ever since we had a fellow parishioner who had long, grey hair, I have planned to not only let it go grey naturally, but to keep it long. My husband likes it, as well.

You are right, though, it is the texture that bothers me, but I don't think any dye can fix that. Maybe if it did, I would change my mind.

I don't particularly care if a woman dyes or highlights her hair. If it is really obvious that it is not a color she ever could have had in nature, I tend not to like it, but other than that I am not bothered by it one way or another.

Ma Torg said...

Well, I have never dyed my hair but am also lucky to not yet have a gray hair. I seem to have inherited my mother's hair who did not start going gray till her late 40s and is now in her late 50s and still only has about 10 gray hairs around each ear.

I don't mind dyed hair, though. I will say that I think a lot of people shouldn't dye their hair. I think it looks bad when older women dye their hair a light color. However, I don't care. In a sense, I figure that if a woman feels more beautiful with dyed hair, why not? I dress a certain way because I feel more beautiful when I wear skirts as opposed to pants. I wear lipstick and mascara for the same reason.

The only type I cannot stand is when women dye their hair for the purpose of looking sexy. ie. young girls dying their hair blonde because they want to catch the eye of the frat boys or older women trying to look like they're still 20. However, that isn't just about hair color, but about dress in general.

Cate said...

I've died my hair since I was 18, and I wish I hadn't. I put blonde highlights in it for years until I got too poor in grad school, but then there was really no way to go back to natural light brown without my much too blonde highlights ending up halfway down my head. So I dye it what ends up being a much darker shade than my hair should be and now I am going gray, and though it would have been fine for it to blend in to my natural hair, it is now too stark a contrast when the dyed hair starts to grow out. Sigh.

All that to say, though I like the way professionally dyed hair looks, I would stay away from the stuff if I were you.

Jessica Snell said...

Ranee, I think it's funny that you like naturally-colored dyed hair best and I like unnaturally-colored dyed hair best!

Kelly, it's a really good point that it's just one more thing that some women use to feel pretty. I know I can't take any kind of absolute stand against it unless I'm also ready to say goodbye to my jewelry and pretty shirts! You're totally right about it being the same kind of thing.

Cate, I'm sorry that your switch didn't end up working out for you . . . is there any way to kind of phase out your current color gradually, or is that the kind of thing only professionals can do?

Kerry said...

Oh, so timely! :) I have nearly black hair and my grey is actually WHITE.

I got my first grey when I was about 25. But it was only one. Every year another one or two was added. It is now 14 years later and I've got a significant amount of grey...in other words, time to embrace it or dye it.

I've dyed my hair in the past just for fun (before I went grey) - usually henna, so I'm not averse to it.

For a long time, my grey was limited to a spot at the very front of my part - very classic looking, I loved it. But now I have a seriously unattractive batch of it further back along my part. It looks splotchy. I'd much prefer if it were dispersed all throughout my hair!

So, I have tried to just live with it, but I have resorted recently to dyeing. I kept the grey I had in the front and only dyed the greys further back. I usually use a semi-permanent or henna, so it just washes away.

I'm in serious need of another dye job, but I can't decide if I want to do it or not. I'd always planned to just go grey naturally...but I never knew I'd grey so unevenly. I'm really thinking about dyeing the splotchy part until I get more grey.

All my friends dye their grey and they all tell me their husbands wish they'd just let their grey show. What does that say? :)

Amber said...

I don't ever plan to dye my hair - I fully intend to have long grey hair when my hair starts to go. Besides, I'm way too cheap to dye it! *grin* I have a few grey strands here and there, but it is very hard to see. I think it will be awhile yet before it is noticeable.

I did try dyeing my hair in college with an off the shelf red, but it never worked particularly well. I ended up just darkening my blonde highlights and my hair just looked darker and kind of flat - it took away any gloss I had. I don't really get the dyeing thing - it all just seems like such a waste of time and money. But I've never been much for primping, make-up, or any of that sort of thing. I like grey hair on people, and I find it especially interesting on younger people because of how it makes you look more closely at the person - the juxtaposition of an unlined face and grey hair is very attractive, I think. And a lined face and grey can be very attractive and interesting too. Much more so than the same blond or brown with blond highlights that everyone seems to get.

That being said, I have an impossibly hard time trying to picture what my mom would look like without dyed hair. She's been dyeing it since the mid-80's, when she was only in her early 30's.

Jessica Snell said...

Kerry, I'm jealous of your WHITE. And the streak. I want a streak. :)

I have to admit that henna makes me a bit curious too; I like how it looks on my skin, so maybe I'd like how it looks on my hair.

Amber, I agree that the low-maintenance aspect of not dying is part of the attraction. If it's something you HAVE to keeping doing, it's not usually something I want to do, you know? I wear makeup rarely, but when I do, it's not like I've committed to months and months of doing it. Dying your hair seems to be different.

TC said...

I am with you on the freaky-non-hair hair colours. When I was 22 I went to my hairstylist and asked for fire engine red hair (I had never died my hair before). My hair ended up looking a perfectly natural red, and I was pretty disappointed!