Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lenten Blog Carnival

Welcome to the Lenten Blog Carnival! Thank you to all of you who sent me entries; this is such an beautiful selection of readings and prayers, disciplines and encouragements. I hope that everyone who reads through these links will find something that helps her deepen her devotion to our Lord during this season.

Small disclaimer: I don't agree with everything in every one of this entries. Given that they come from a wide spectrum of Christian practices, I doubt anyone reading will agree with everything! However, I hope you will be encouraged by all of them. And where you find differences, I encourage you to let them remind you to pray, with Jesus, for the eventual unity of the church.

Also, if you sent me an entry, and it isn't here, please let me know and I'll try to correct the omission as soon as I can!

With that, I'll go right to the entries:

Check out this idea for a Lent Tree at Smithical. Now, tell me that's not a cool idea!

Jeanne of At A Hen's Pace talks about disciplines of abstinence and disciplines of engagement. Fasting is just one side of the coin.

Karen Elizabeth of These Little Pieces reflects on the words of the Book of Common Prayer as it invites us to observe a Holy Lent.

Hearing "remember, oh man, that you are dust" leads Sarah Marie to reflect on Bonhoeffer's words on grace.

Elizabeth Esther talks about getting an answer she didn't want when she prayed about what to give up for Lent.

Amy at On a Blessed Journey writes about the history of Lent and offers some thoughts from John Chrysostom.

I Am an Alpine Flower posts about giving up the internet for Lent . . . with a little Henri Nouwen thrown in.

Tienne at Take the Poor with You has some suggestions on how a mom can fit three hours of prayer into her day during Lent.

And, in the resources category, here is a post on Lenten Activities with Children from Kelly, and it's full of good ideas for celebrating the various Sundays of Lent according to the Eastern Calendar.

Lindsey at Reading Red Letters posts both about the preparation for Lent and about Ash Wednesday.

Elena, a The Wuggy Chronicles, offers this poetic reflection.

Read about how one family fasts together at Two Square Meals.

Amy at Splendor in the Ordinary talks about her family's Lenten practices this year - including a reminder about a traditional Lenten snack: pretzels.

At Story-Formed, read about Lenten Soup (but it's not the recipe you'd expect).

And, finally, at Learning as We Go, read about meeting a time of challenge with a Lenten discipline of gratitude.

Thank you again to everyone who participated, by reading or by posting. May God bless you as you continue down this Lenten path. May these forty days draw you closer to Jesus, and may the feast at the end remind you of the feast that awaits us with Him in heaven.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

7 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for putting the Carnival together. I had a such a good time visiting blogs this afternoon!!

Ma Torg said...

Thanks, Jessica!

That Lent tree certainly is cool!

Paula Velez said...

Hi. I found your blog through At A Hen's place (I think). Anyway, thanks for putting up the carnival. I'm looking forward to reading the blogs this afternoon.

TwoSquareMeals said...

Thanks for hosting. I especially love the Lenten tree idea!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Oops, I forgot to announce the Carnival!

I'll put up a quickie post later tomorrow.

Thanks so much for hosting it!!

~Jeanne

Kerry said...

Jessica - oh, the reading here looks wonderful!

My internet has been spotty and weak on the other side of the Atlantic, so I wasn't able to get a submission in on time. I did post a collection of links to a great event we hosted last year: A Way of the Cross for Children. I hope it is OK to post the link here...

http://theten0clockscholar.blogspot.com/2009/03/getting-ready-for-good-friday.html

I'm also going to post an announcement on my blog!

ps. we hope to be traveling home late this week...!

Cheryl said...

I was doing a little looking around about Lent and just found your blog. Some great ideas thanks for putting all this together! I would be honored if you would stop by my blog and check out our Lenten project thanks again for assembling all those links some great ideas.
Blessings!
http://ontheoldpath.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html