Tuesday, August 28, 2007

WFMW: making my own rag rugs


This has been a very crafty summer (see my post on learning to sew), but I think my favorite craft has been the new rag rugs I made for our bedroom and our bathroom.

I've always liked rag rugs, but they simply seemed to complicated to make. How, after all, do you braid rags?

Well, I still don't know the answer to that question. But, thanks to this tutorial from This Vintage Chica, I now know how to crochet rags. And that, my friends, has made all the difference. The truth is, if you know even the most basic single crochet stitch, you can make your own gorgeous rag rugs. And the other truth is, the part that takes the longest isn't the crocheting, it's the cutting of the rag strips.

This rug, now in our bedroom, is mostly made out of our old denim couch slipcover:


This rug, now in our bathroom, is more colorful, and is made out of shirts, sheets and sarongs:

The nice thing about that one is, because I made it myself, I was able to make it extra long, so that we could kneel comfortably next to the tub when bathing the kids. It's also made out of mostly cotton cloth, which means it dries out easily.

I wish you could see what these actually have done for these rooms. The bathroom looks more cheery now, with that bright, soft rug on the tile floor, and the rug in our bedroom picks up the colors from the quilt on our bed and the hangings over the windows and lends the room a mellow, comfy air. This is a great, satisfying craft - beautiful and useful at the same time. (And frugal! You'll never throw out a stained shirt or sheet again! Just cut out the stain and rag the rest for a rug!)

Making my own rag rugs works for me!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell


8 comments:

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

I have been saving old clothes to cut up for rag rugs, and I can't wait to look at the tutorial you linked. Thanks for posting your photos and making it sound so easy. Makes me want to get started right away!

Stephanie Appleton said...

Ah there is hope. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I don't sew much or crochet, but you make it sound like I could still manage it. Maybe this winter. . .

Cara said...

That looks awesome! My aunt said to crochet the rug too, and I just haven't gotten around to starting it :)

Laurel said...

thank you! i'd love to make a rag rug for my daughter's room, but never thought about crocheting it!!

Barbara H. said...

So cute! I don't know how to crochet, either, but I like to look at them. :-)

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Unknown said...

I was thinking about it this afternoon... that's funny.

I want to make one for the girls in all sorts of..pink...yep!

vintagechica said...

Thanks so much for the mention...your rugs are beautiful...really, beautiful.

sarah marie said...

That looks like a really fun project - I might just give it a try!