Tuesday, May 1, 2007

skip the party

I'm planning on throwing birthday parties for my kids. Someday. But I really haven't yet, even though, together, they've had three birthdays so far. Why not? Because they're toddlers, and, frankly, they don't care. We make a cake and give them presents, and the grandparents usually supply cool things like balloons (mylar! we have such smart grandparents 'round here!), but I've never thrown a birthday party for my kids.

and you know, it really works for me. And them too. They get everything they want (cake! presents! cards in the mail! grandparents making a fuss!) and feel special on their day.

Now, I have friends that love throwing parties for their toddlers. And more power to 'em. There's nothing wrong with it. But, if you're like me, and the thought of organizing a big to-do for someone who a) won't care and b) quite possibly will be provoked to tears by all the hoopla, makes you crazy, then I say, just skip it. To my mind, it's a lot of work for very little reward, and I just don't like equations that come out that way.

I imagine that around four or five, Bess and Gamgee will start asking for a party. And once they want it, I'll be glad to do it. We'll have little people running around the house, playing games, eating themselves sick, and going away with favors.  But during these crazy toddler years? Cake and presents with family works for me. :D



peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

9 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

My son has had 2 birthdays thus far and we've kept it very low key.

His cousin's parents, on the other hand, have gone all out. For her first birthday, they had a big circus tent theme. This year she's having a petting zoo brought to her backyard. Amazing!

I'm with you, I think I'll wait until Snuggle Bug is older and asking for a more elaborate party before I consider spending that kind of money!

Justabeachkat said...

So smart! When they're little, it's really silly to go all out. Just family is fine and fun. No need to do a party just for show. Plenty of time ahead. Enjoyed visiting your blog.

Robin said...

We had a huge party for Grom's first birthday. We were really celebrating the blessing that God gave his father and I - it wasn't really for him.

2nd birthday was just family and one friend.

3rd birthday were talking just a couple of kids, but then there's the problem of possibly hurting feelings by not including.

Smarty you avoids all that. :)

Gina Conroy said...

I'm one of those big to do birthday planners. My toddlers all had big theme parties mostly because we have NO family in town.

It was a lot of work but worth it. Now my kids love looking back through their photo albums. Though now with my older two getting into the pre-teen years, we have small parties away from home with only a couple of friends.

Barbara H. said...

When my oldest turned 1, we didn't have a birthday party with kids his age but did have a few friends over who had kids. My son kept trying to crawl down the hallway to get away from it all. :) I decided then as you did, that they really didn't need a lot of fuss and bother then and celebrating with just our family was fine. Over the years (my oldest is now 22) we've had "just family" birthdays (immediate family -- we've never lived close to relatives) probably about as much or more than parties with invited guests, and we all love those, too.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Smart, smart, smart! Around here, up until age 5, it's cake, grandparents and cousins with birthday kid choosing the menu and we all just hang out and have fun.

Jane said...

I always thought the huge one year party was more for the parents anyway! Simplicity rules!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. My kids are 8, 6 and 4 and we've only done family and grandparents parties. We told are 8 year old when she's 10 we'll have a big shindig. She's already planning it! Takes some of the pressure off dear old mom. :)

Anne said...

We've had to have big parties as a matter of necessity because the church needs an occasional party and we always end up adding lots of extra people in at the last minute, adults and children, and then madly running around at the last minute making more cake and thinking of more games. Our last party was only about 3 weeks ago and our poor three year old was miserable, but its good for his soul to let people celebrate him, whether he likes it or not.