Thursday, November 19, 2009

Music and what it does to our days

Recently, I've found a permanent place for my laptop, which previously floated here and there around the house, seeking an abode free from one-year-old fingers.

It now lives on the back of the sewing desk, next to a pair of speakers. This means that it's suddenly easy for me to plug it in and use iTunes. Thanks to the speakers, I can here the music from anywhere in the first floor of our condo, and can sing along to Rich Mullins or Sandra McCracken while I'm doing the dishes or chopping veggies.

Honestly, it's a childhood fantasy come true. I remember being a teenager, listening to the radio as I drove, and wishing that every time I heard a song I didn't like, I could hit a delete button and have it vanish from the station's playlist. I'd do this for a few weeks, and eventually every song that remained would be one I loved. It'd be my own private radio station, playing everything from country music to Bach to the Eagles to hymns to Irish jigs to Rich Mullins.

And modern mp3 technology? Makes my radio daydream a reality. I plug in my computer and turn on a playlist and suddenly the house is filled with my own personal soundtrack. Depending on the day, it might be a playlist called "sursum corda!" or "Saturday" or "commitment" or the always bouncy "danceable".

I go through long periods of time when I forget to play music, and then I rediscover (brilliance!) that we actually own cds and mp3s and suddenly the house is ringing with song from morning till night. I don't know why I forget, but I'm glad right now that I'm remembering. Music makes the good days brighter, the drudgery joy and the suffering meaningful.

What about you? Does music make a difference to how your days go?

Currently I'm enjoying John Tams' version of "Over the Hills and Far Away", Caedmon's Call's "Volcanoland", Fiction Family's "Look for Me Baby", Johnny Cleg's "Dela", Michael Card's "Walking on Water", Johnathan Coulton's "Mr. Fancy Pants", Andrew Peterson's "Matthew's Begats" and, as always, Sandra McCracken's "Springtime Indiana".

What are your favorite songs to listen to right now?

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

4 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

As bizarre as it might sound, coming from a music major - we do not play music in our house. I get sound overload just from the OTHER sounds in our house, and adding to it isn't a good idea!

We do play cds for the kids during quiet time and at bedtime, which makes me feel a little better. What makes me feel a LOT better is that it seems to be working - Jonathan now recognizes classical music when he hears it in movies. :)

I wonder if any of your other readers have encountered this problem (sound overload) or if it is just me?

Amy said...

I'm always 'forgetting' about music too. I think it may be related to Emily's thoughts - sensory overload.

I can't believe I've found another John Tams fan! Have you seen the Sharpe series?

Amy said...

We listen to music during lunch which leads into our music study of the day. Sometimes we listen in the morning if I feel we've started the day tired, grumpy and irritable, music puts us into the right spirit. I like listening when I make dinner too but that is often when it becomes sensory overload with three littles ones clamoring for attention and trying to concentrate on recipes(which sometimes makes me wish I could just turn up the music :-))
I made a new playlist for advent which I'll try to play at the times I mentioned and also during our Tuesday Teas http://ordinarysplendor.blogspot.com/2009/11/advent-music.html

Thanks for posting, I look forward to adding some new music to my playlists!

Jessica Snell said...

Emily, I get sensory overload too, and can't play music at certain parts of the day, or when the kids are just too loud. I mostly use it during chores, or when I'm in a sulk and need something bright and true to retrain my emotions (does that make any sense?) But there ARE times when it's just too much noise.

Amy, I LOVE the Sharpe series! (and I've read most of the books too.) Yay, another fan!